Sunday, April 8, 2012

Radishes are Surprisingly Delicious

Today is Day 1 of Atkins.

I know, ya'll are thinking:
  1. "I thought your last post said you were going vegan?"
  2. "Uh, where's this coming from?"
  3. "Why are you dieting? Why not just keep eating healthy?"
  4. "Fad diets? Really Ellie? We thought you were so much more hipster than that... Way to go mainstream on us. We are so disappointed in you."*
Well here are my answers.
  1. While I really enjoyed being vegan last Summer, it was a huge challenge, and I really enjoyed how I felt eating so many veggies. However, I am not sure veganism* is the best tool for weight loss, and I'm feeling more apt to take it up when I'm working to maintain my weight in the future. That way I can explore cooking with vegan recipes without thinking about calorie counting obsessively, and all. And, it got really hard not eating meat when I was tired or cold. I want to focus on a lot of strength training right now, and I need excessive protein to do that.
  2. I think most of you, if you've read any of my blog or know me personally, know that I never would have started a "diet" out of the blue. (I hate diets, right? "It's a lifestyle change."*) So, yeah, this wasn't my idea. In fact, I was entirely unconvinced of this whole thing until one of my best friends, my boyfriend Chris, started doing Atkins last month and has since--in just 3 weeks--lost 19 pounds. Yeah dude. That's insaneeee. He looks great, but it's not even about that. He has started acting so differently since starting this diet that I was kinda pulled in. His whole demeanor has improved, and he swears that he feels, "cleaner, more alert, lighter." Yeah... I want that.
  3. So why Atkins, though, is what you're asking. I mean, why not just eat healthy... what is Atkins, anyway? It's a complicated process to explain it all, but it is basically a low-carb diet, with a foundation based on a few key ideas:
    1. Eat tons of vegetables. Specifically leafy greens (and avoid starchy veggies).
    2. Consume a bunch of protein (eat meat, freely).
    3. NO processed sugar (so, no bread. Yeah...). No sugar at all, actually. So, no fruit either.
    4. Drink tons of water.
    5. Work out, too, or it pretty much won't work. 
    6. (Oh, and I forgot to mention. There are multiple phases. These are the parameters for Phase 1. After 2-4 weeks, the restrictions will ease a little bit, and I can have stuff like fresh fruit and such.)
So that's why Atkins. Because basically, yeah, it IS eating healthy mainly. I mean, at this point, I've lost a solid 30-35 pounds, and I really want to get off the next 35 pounds NOW! No more tiptoeing around. This is important to me. So I needed something strict and specific to latch onto that can pull me into a new level of effort and intensity.

I feel it when I work out or eat well for a few days--my new level of health and fitness is only a small ounce of greater effort away from what I give now. No more start-and-stop running/working out. Doneso.

Chris has been a huge support and inspiration, and I'm super stoked about getting into better fitness. It's awesome to have someone to share this with, too.

I've been running and hiking and doing ab and arm workouts lately too. Going to push really hard to stay paced and consistent. Everyday it's a decision.

Oh, and regarding that last concern I know you all were having about my going mainstream... don't worry, I'm reading a memoir called Yoga Bitch right now, and all of my groceries are from local farms, organic, and/or fair trade.*

*I have a lot of words to say about genuineness, hipsterism, and what it means to be pursuing fitness and wellness. I will be posting/ranting about that here soon. Don't you worry.

Be well, everybody. Here's to 30 days until SUMMER. <3

No comments: