Friday, April 20, 2012

Happy Updates

Today marks day 13 of being on Atkins.

Basically what that means is that it's been two weeks since I've had any of the following:
  • Bread
  • Popcorn
  • Sugar
  • Bread
  • Rice
  • Pasta
  • Fried food
  • Potatoes
  • Honey
  • Oh, did I mention bread?
And I honestly don't miss it. Weirdly enough, the bread thing wasn't hard to kick, but the desire for sweet-flavored things has gotten stronger. I have realized over the past few weeks that the constant eating of bread was a combination of two things. The first was simply habit. The second was hunger. Bread was a super fast, convenient way to feel full. Same goes for pasta, fried food, and potatoes. So easy to turn to.

The weird part is that the "desire for sweet taste" is not the same as, I think, as a "sugar craving." Because when I'm like, "AHHH WANT SWEETNESS!!!" I stare longingly at bright red strawberries and cute little organic mandarins from Trader Joe's. But they have glucose, and according to the science of Atkins, that will really fudge up what my body is doing right now in induction phase. So I push through.

Thankfully, Atkins has some awesome protein bars, different ones for snack or "meal replacement" (which usually equals for me, "scarf down at the first instance of hunger while you take the next hour to cook up and prepare an actual dinner." which has been working really well! that sounds like sarcasm, but I'm serious!) as well as shakes. I know that I need to still get most-to-all- of my nutrients and stuff from REAL food, since those bars and shakes are loaded with preservatives and artificial sweetener. Everything in moderation. I'm still reading and learning about the pro's and con's of this diet daily. I take nothing at face value.

On an awesome note, about a month ago I weighed in at 206 (!!! that was frustrating when I'd gotten all the way back there), but earlier this week I weighed in at 192! Awesome! I am so close to the 180s now, that any temptation to give in can seriously BITE ME.

(Oh, and please don't be fooled into thinking this was easy. Just consult Chris, who was the recipient of a desperate voicemail only last night, where I was standing desolately in the middle of the ice-cream isle at Kroger, my face pressed against the cold glass, starting at these "Sugar-Free Banana Creme Pops," only 4 net carbs per popsicle! and whining that even the sugar-free stuff was nearly a fourth of my daily allotment of food. I could hear Jillian Michaels in the back of my head, reminding me that they use the same chemical to make artificial sweetener to embalm people.)

So I admit, I don't have all the answers. But I am willing everything in me to not become "Diet-Girl" (a fictional novel heroine I have been creating in my head), and that this attempt will be what it takes to become healthy for life. I'm not aiming to lose weight, I'm aiming to be healthy and fit. I have to remember this. Sew it into my skin.

Yeah I wanna look fine as a fox in a little black dress on my twenty-first birthday in exactly 4 months. But I also wanna be able to run a 10k in 2.5 months and swim a mile and actually stand a chance trying out jiu jitsu moves with my boyfriend (I usually just laugh when my strength breaks. Well, I usually just laugh when I do anything. Curses of the Eternal Optimist. Ooh, there's an interesting book title. How about, 'Diet-Girl: The Curses of Life as the Eternal Optimist. A Memoir').

Oh! Last thing I wanted to record was that working out these days is a BLAST. I'll blog on more detail about this later, but the main thing is this: Atkins induction phase gets you to where you're no longer burning any glucose (cuz... you don't HAVE any in your system!) when you work out, so you immediately burn your fat store. This is 1) how you lose so much weight in this first phase, and 2) great because you have an insane, almost endless amount of energy to work with when you are working out. Meaning that almost everything I do in the gym is fun, because I'm not exhausting myself.

AH, SO MUCH TO BLOG ABOUT.

Okay, I'm done for now. Time to shower and go to work.
Be happy world. And remember--Take care of this moment.

No comments: