Friday, March 9, 2012

Early Bird Gets the Worm!

I did it. I still can't believe I did it, really. But whether or not it feels like reality or some distant dream world, that doesn't matter. Because I did really complete my first triathlon on Sunday.

I woke up that morning at 6am nervous as hell. I played Nappy Roots, Good Day as I got dressed, and headed up to the race area. Set up my transition and got my "body marking" done--which felt so cool and official. Everything was so new and exciting.

Chris was there to support me the whole morning, pretty much hovering and holding my transition bag while I stood there in my speedo and nothing else in 30-40 degree weather. He was such a great support, I can't imagine having had to go without having someone standing there saying over and over how proud they were of me, how exciting it all was, and encouraging me that I could do it!

It was about 10 minutes til the race was going to start, and I was FREEZING standing inside Ramsey, and Chris suggested jumping jacks to warm up. I did them, and as I did them, I was like, "Man. You know you're comfortable with your body, and with this person, when you can stand there and do jumping jacks in your swimsuit in front of them(--and the rest of everybody who was at the race.)" Ha.

So Chris split and my dad showed up shortly after. Then the race began!

My swim was SOOO sloppy. Major struggle. Sorta like, a dog-paddle free-style. My heart was just racing out my body, with all the nerves and excitement and adrenaline from multiple factors.

1. It was my first race, 
2. SO many people watching, 
3. Swimming with other people, 
4. Swimming in the big pool when I was training in the small, shallower pool (like, 17ft deep versus 5-6 feet deep. yeah) 
5. I had something in my throat/lungs, and was coughing like crazy WHILE trying to breathe... which wasn't happening, because I was so nervous that I needed like 5x more breath than usual, 
oh and 
6. My dad and the guy I'm dating were meeting for the first time, without me, and their inaugural conversation would be about how much I was struggling through the swim. That didn't add to it or anything. *facepalm*

Which was true, that was their first conversation. Because I got in the water and was INSTANTLY struggling. I was passed by 50-75 swimmers, at least. Ha. Welp, next time I know to overestimate. And probably get a little more experience swimming in the big pool/open water/just swim more.

Anyway, I prevailed, and was greeted by Chris running alongside me--literally, on the path of the runners. He cringes with awkward embarrassment for that part, because he didn't realize it until he was running by the volunteers--who were confusedly cheering him on, in a hoodie and khaki's (obviously not fresh from the pool!) and was like, "Oh, I'm not supposed to be here." But that's support right there, so I think everybody forgave him. HA!

Well, after that came the transition. I ran over to my stuff, dried off somewhat, and tried to get dressed. Lemme tell ya, when your skin is a bit damp, putting on biking shorts is nearly IMPOSSIBLE. So when I looked up and saw Chris and my dad casually standing there watching me, it was another one of those hilarious, eye-opening experiences when you're like... Yeah, I couldn't have done this with ANY pride 30 pounds ago. So I dressed, geared up, and took off.

The bike was fun and it was hard. It took me like, over 70 minutes. One thing I realized, like a fool, as my bike portion started, was how THIRSTY I was. See, I'd been really paranoid that I would have to pee during the race that I decided that would override my body's natural need for water. I even thought about naming this post, "The Girl Who Thought She Could Do a Triathlon Without Drinking Any Water." Ha. I was so thirsty, and I'm sure that slowed me down. I finally got water during the run. But man that was a mistake. Lesson learned.

Another issue was that it was SO WINDY that morning, and on top of that, I was wearing this windbreaker jacket thingy my dad loaned me, that was WAY too big for me, and, zipped up, pretty much acted like a straight up parachute. I realized about 2/3 of the way through the race that I hadn't used my brakes at ALL. In fact, I was leaning forward, powering and peddling DOWNHILL to get speed against the wind. I stopped and took off the jacket, stuffed it in my hoodie underneath, and OH MY GOODNESS I went so much faster. Still, the wind was so exhausting to fight against, and by the time I was back, I was freezing and tired.

But I was so ready to run.

The first mile I limped through awkwardly, because I realized that I couldn't feel my feet or my legs. Totally numb. So I ran with my heart, and I enjoyed the tunes on my ipod--



Every Teardrop is a Waterfall, by Coldplay, was my anthem. I listened to it at least 3 times in the 40 minutes it took me to run the 5k. "I'd rather be a comma, than a full stop." That is my favorite line.

I thrived during that run. Thrived. I felt so alive. I was so alive. I'll never, ever, ever forget running down that open trail, blue sky above me, knowing that I was going to be one of the last finishers and not even caring, because I was DOING it--and I was going to FINISH, and I was going to finish STRONG. I threw my arms out beside me and had a victory yell there by myself on the trail as I ran. It was one of the most incredible moments of my life. Every step I ran, I felt stronger and healthier and more steady and alert and alive.

I came around Lake Herrick to a water post, and as I ran up, every volunteer clapped and cheered. I drank water. They continued to clap and cheer like I was chugging beer or something--They didn't stop cheering SO HARD the whole time. I was amazed. As I took back off, one girl shouted, at what felt like the top of her lungs (my adrenaline may have been altering my perception of the situation), "TRIATHLETE!!!!!!!!" And I rode on that word all the way back to the finish line. In fact, from there, I freaking sprinted to the finish. As I came down the hill, I heard somebody (I think Katie Colville,) yell, "EVERYBODY CHEER FOR ELLIE!!!" and then cheers and shouts and clapping and tears in my eyes (and again as I remember and write it all down) as I shot like a lightning bolt down the hill and across the finish line. I... I have never felt anything like that in my entire life. It is what makes life worth living. Hugs, pride, love, support, encouragement, satisfaction, strength, happiness, energy... I hugged Chris and my dad and was so filled with each of those emotions and such joy... I can't even put it into words. Can't. Just can't.

LOOK AT THAT SMILE. LOOK AT THOSE DORKY SUNGLASSES. Mid-air. Joy. LOVE IT.
(P.s. can we talk about how I look like myself, ya know, ~200 pound girl, but LOOK AT MY SHADOW. It is a premonition. It looks like a super fit, thin runner. Just sayin'. That's kinda cool.)


So that was my race experience. It was amazing, incredible, and I can't even wait until I get to do it again.

I'd like to thank my "sponsors:"
  • Megan Arnold, for re-inspiring me to get back in shape and to push myself. Thank you for the bike (even if I couldn't use it, you still helped me get the ball rolling. THANK YOU)
  • Sunshine Cycles, for all the bike repairs and support!
  • Sandra Godina, for loaning me the bike I raced on, along with the helmet!
  • Christopher Rockhill, for the sunglasses that were SO important race day, as well as all the encouragement before, during, and after. You are such an inspiration. Thank you for the motivation.
  • Duane Hamilton, Dad--for the jacket that kept me warm, the gloves that kept my fingers from freezing, the money to get the bike fixed, and for coming out to support me:)
  • Walker's Pub and Coffee, for having amazing Sweet Tea that I drank afterwards while we waited for the restaurant to open
  • Katie Colville, for literally EVERYTHING. Your heart and encouragement and everything, from Body Attack, to Yoga, to encouraging texts last semester, to all the hugs, to the race day words of inspiration, to being there when I crossed the finish line and hugging me so hard I'll never forget it.
  • Claire Anne Hockenberry, for being such an awesome emotional support, the hugs, the cheers. You are wonderful.
  • Shane's Ribshack, for having delicious water for free on my 9 mile bikeride training day. MUCH NEEDED, MUCH THANKS.
  • Taste of India, for having such delicious food that we nommed so hard on after the race. That was perfection after that morning. Perfection.
There were a million factors to my success. So thankful, so thrilled, so happy. Thanks to everyone for all the encouragement and support. :) You make me proud to call you friend:)

Chris Rockhill and I after the race!

Run Happy, Friends!

No comments: